[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Ramcat Broadhead Review - Whitetailkillers.com

Whitetailkillers.com

We're all about hunting!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Ramcat Broadhead Review
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:28 am 

What kind of broadhead are you shooting? Are you shooting a fixed blade broadhead for the reliability? Or, are you shooting an expandable for the accuracy? Does your set-up make enough energy to push an expandable all the way through an animal? This is a problem for bowhunters shooting lower poundage. How much energy is your arrow losing just opening the blades on your mechanical head? Worst case scenario with a fixed blade broadhead is one good hole; where as the best case scenario with most expandables is one good hole. The argument over fixed blade or mechanical has been raging for years. There are still states that prohibit the use of mechanical broadheads and others that regulate the use of mechanicals. Some outfitters don’t allow the use of mechanicals on their properties due to fear of poor penetration, and performance. Yet, the promise of field-point accuracy gives bowhunters confidence, and some expandables are capable of massive wounds.

I’m of the opinion that if your set-up is properly tuned, there should not be any issue getting a conventional broadhead to fly like a field point. If your mechanical broadheads and your fixed blade broadheads have different impact points, call a pro shop. The problem is likely your set-up, not the heads, providing you are using quality broadheads. Most broadheads retail for close to forty dollars for three heads; if you find broadheads that are ten bucks a dozen, chances are they aren’t going to fly well. You’ve heard the saying “You get what you pay for.” right?

Now, I’m not saying all mechanicals are bad. I have used a couple that performed flawlessly. Big holes and great blood trails, but ideally I was looking for a conventional head that offered superior flight characteristics, and massive holes. Something with a chisel tip to blow through bone, a big cutting diameter for great blood trails, and it would still have to be accurate enough to hit the mark at distances greater than twenty yards. Then I stumbled across the Ramcat from Fulton Precision Archery.

The Ramcat is touted to be the “most aerodynamic fixed blade ever designed!”, and the package also says “outpenetrates any broadhead on earth!” The Ramcat is a three blade head with an inch and three eights cutting diameter, and it has a chisel tip. That met my requirements; OK, I’ll try them!

I figured the “most aerodynamic fixed blade ever designed” didn’t need to be tested at twenty yards first, so I backed up to forty yards. This is the first shot I took with the Ramcat broadhead.
ramcatatfortyyards.jpg
ramcatatfortyyards.jpg [ 42.93 KiB | Viewed 34023 times ]

Alright they’re accurate, and the penetration was fantastic, but why? Well, it turns out that Ramcats have a patent pending, deep lobed “Hydroshock” chisel tip. This tip drafts the air over the blades to prevent windplaning. I’m going to assume that this would also reduce the wind drag on the arrow, resulting in more downrange kinetic energy. The “Hydroshock” tip acts the same way when you hit an animal. It forces the mass outwards to result in greater penetration, but what about our lower poundage friends. For them the Ramcat has a special treat; if for some reason you don’t get a pass through, the blades “roll forward and create a backcut”. The back edge of the blades on the Ramcat are sharpened, so it cuts a path back out. Massive damage! Quicker recovery! Thanks Ramcat, time to hit the woods.

Any broadhead will work when you hit them perfectly, but we don’t always hit them perfectly. I’m ashamed to admit it, but I put a way less than perfect hit on a deer while testing the Ramcat. The deer was quartering away hard and I should have entered through the guts and out through the vitals. Instead I entered through the hind-quarter and out through the guts. Bad shot! In my defense, it turned out the limbs on my bow went bad. I know excuses, excuses. Anyway, the deer piled up in fifty yards. That really impressed me. I put a horrible hit on a deer, and still piled it up in sight of the stand. Here is a picture of the exit wound. I know it’s embarrassing, but it happens.
ramcat1.jpg
ramcat1.jpg [ 102.34 KiB | Viewed 34023 times ]

After that I turned on a couple others of the Whitetailkillers to Ramcat broadheads. My buddy Jimmy answered the call, and shot this nice buck.
ramcat2.jpg
ramcat2.jpg [ 87.13 KiB | Viewed 34023 times ]

This deer was just about broadside, and check out the entrance wound. It’s huge. The exit was just a little tighter to the leg on the other side. I could get my fists into both sides of this deer. I’ve seen holes like this when the deer was hard quartered, but not on a broadside deer. Unbelievable carnage, needless to say it was a short recovery.

My last concern was durability. I mean, I want the head to work well first and foremost, but it’s great if I can reuse them. Broadheads are expensive. I’m glad to report that all the Ramcats we shot through animals survived without any visible damage. Replacement blades are readily available, and all the ferules stayed straight and true.

The Ramcat performed better than I could have expected for us, so if you are struggling with which broadhead to shoot, I think you should give them a try. You can expect blood trails a blind man could follow, and short recoveries. Check out their website for more information at , there you can find videos, testimonials, and any other product information you need. I’m about a month away from taking the Ramcat broadhead with me to do a little pig hunting down South. With any luck I will have some more pictures for you then. I can’t wait.

Attachments:
ramcat_promo.jpg
ramcat_promo.jpg [ 39.83 KiB | Viewed 34022 times ]

Port

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:17 pm 

man you do get around. great picture..how would you compare the rage to the ramcat? they both seem to do the job. how will they plane if the quartering shot is to hard? will they still penetrate or glance off? which is the better of the two bhs? what is the price if known? maybe we'll just have to try them.. good review... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:27 pm 

These are not expandables, so quartering shots aren't an issue. The blades only move when the arrow moves backwards.

As for the Rage, heavy bone seems to stop them cold due to a small leading blade and a large ferule. The Ramcat has a chisel tip to blow through bone, clearing a path for the arrow. I did see that Rage introduced a chisel tip head this year, probably just for that reason.

Head to Ramcat's site for pricing. I don't remember the exact number, but they are under forty dollars. Reasonable.

Port

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:19 am 

:mrgreen: Looking forward to our trip down south.Whitetail Killers along with Central Florida Outdoor Adventures will be hunting for pigs. We will be using Ramcat Broadheads with Winners Choice Strings along with our preferred scent control which will consist of Nose Jammer and Ozonics HR200 set ups.Cant forget about the Hec Suit.I smell bacon....

Thumper Arrows
Quad Ultra rest
Ramcat Broadheads
= Meat in the Freezer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:02 pm 

Great review port. Very informative. The makers of ramcat are lucky you reviewed there product. I have been with you while you where testing for a couple reviews so I know they are good honest reviews and you are not just blowing smoke up our asses.
Thanks port.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:19 pm 

Thanks Buddy!

Port

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:03 pm 

So I spoke to Brett Fulton today, from Fulton Precision Archery, and he sent me some photos that really show how the Hydroshock chisel tip on the front of the Ramcat works. The Hydroshock tip is designed to force mass outwards clearing a path for the arrow.

These are still frames from a 1000lb. Kudu that Stuart Youman shot in Africa. Check out how at impact the head opens up a HUGE! hole for the arrow to follow. This is why they penetrate so well.

In the first shot you see the hole open, the second picture is the same, but full size.
The third shot is the the hide rebounding. You can still see the tail end of the arrow, but the damage is done.
The forth picture is the end result. Awesome right?

Attachments:
Stuart Youmans Kudu01.JPG
Stuart Youmans Kudu01.JPG [ 82.95 KiB | Viewed 33973 times ]
Stuart Youmans Kudu00.JPG
Stuart Youmans Kudu00.JPG [ 126.48 KiB | Viewed 33973 times ]
Stuart Youmans Kudu 02.JPG
Stuart Youmans Kudu 02.JPG [ 137.61 KiB | Viewed 33973 times ]
Stuart Youmans Kudu0 3.JPG
Stuart Youmans Kudu0 3.JPG [ 196.17 KiB | Viewed 33973 times ]

Port

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:27 pm 

Awesome write up can't wait to try them out on some piggys.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:13 pm 

Rage who?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:22 pm 

You got that right!

Port